Please enable JavaScript. This website does not function properly without JavaScript enabled. BOULTON'S TRAFALGAR MEDAL

Ulric of England


Boulton's Trafalgar Medal. HMS Revenge.

Boulton's Trafalgar Medal. HMS Revenge.
Boulton's Trafalgar Medal. HMS Revenge.
Boulton's Trafalgar Medal. HMS Revenge.
Boulton's Trafalgar Medal. HMS Revenge.
Boulton's Trafalgar Medal. HMS Revenge.
Boulton's Trafalgar Medal. HMS Revenge.
Boulton's Trafalgar Medal. HMS Revenge.
Boulton's Trafalgar Medal. HMS Revenge.

Boulton's Trafalgar Medal. HMS Revenge.

Boulton's Trafalgar Medal for sale with original case. The Medal in white metal, awarded to Seaman James Ingram who saw action at the Battle of Trafalgar, aboard HMS Revenge. The Medal with silver border fitted to allow it to be worn, and  complete with its original red leatherette case.


Condition report: Some oxidation to the white metal disc. Details clear, including the engraved name of the recipient, along with the ship's name. The typical period-added silver rim in place, the pendant to allow the medal to be worn, now missing. The leatherette case in generally good condition. Typical period paper paddings to the inside. The original brass hook and eye  in place, and  capable of fastening the case.

Note: The sale includes copies of the Muster-Table for HMS Revenge and copies of the  article about Boulton's Trafalgar Medal by David Vice (1997). James Ingram is confirmed serving aboard HMS Revenge. Born in Salisbury, Ingram was 27 at the time of the Battle of Trafalgar.

Background to HMS Revenge: HMS  Revenge was a 74-gun, first-rate ship of the line designed by John Henslow. She was one of several ships built to meet the urgent demands of the Royal Navy in the defence of Britain against Napoleon and the threat of invasion from France. Newly commissioned, she fought in Collingwood's column at The Battle of Trafalgar. She was laid down at Chatham Dockyard in 1800, fitted out on the River Medway, and launched on 13 April 1805.

HMS Revenge  received 32lb guns for the lower deck, 24lb guns to the main deck, and 9lb guns and carronades on the upper deck and poop. Most of the crew were taken on board from the depot ship HMS Zealand in the first week of June, and the ship began “working up” as she made her way round to Spithead where she took on additonal crew and stores before leaving on 16 July to join the Channel Fleet. She was detached to join the squadron blockading Cadiz and later witnessed the arrival of HMS Victory with Admiral Lord Nelson on board.

At Trafalgar, HMS Revenge was stationed eighth in the leeward column commanded by Admiral Collingwood, between HMS Polyphemus and HMS Swiftsure, but was signalled to sail forward in support of HMS Royal Sovereign. Because of her speed she broke into the enemy column earlier than most of the other ships. She became entangled in the bowsprit of the French ship L'Aigle (74 guns), and discharged two carefully measured broadsides into her before she broke free. She received a tremendous fire and was run on board by one of the largest ships present, the Spanish Principe de Asturias (112 guns) which placed her bow across the stern of HMS Revenge to try and board her by the bowsprit. The attack was repelled by the marines and fire from the carronade on the poop, which discharged canister shot that exploded in a hail of musket balls. In addition she had three French ships on her until HMS Dreadnought and HMS Thunderer came to her relief.

HMS Revenge was unusual in having two ordinary seaman who both wrote accounts of the battle, and life on board. John Martingale Powell from Pentonville, London, writes in a letter home;

'a shot coming in at the porthole of the gun to which I belong and killing

midshipman and five other men besides cutting the foremast, but not I

nor any of the men at my quarter was hurt.'

William Robinson from Farnham, Surrey, poignantly describes how, the crew nearly jettisoned  the ship's cobbler;

'a very merry little fellow, the very life of the ship' company, for he was the mirth

of the mess, and whatever duty he was ordered his spirit made light of the labour.

Unconscious, he was about to be thrown out of the gunport as dead when he began

to kick and twitch which saved him.'


Despite the damage and casualties, HMS Revenge was fit enough after the battle to take in tow a Spanish prize, which had to be abandoned eventually on the morning of the 24th October before reaching Gibraltar. Leaks in the damaged hull overcame the pumps and boats removed as many of the crew as possible to become prisoners on the Revenge, where they joined a Frenchwoman, Jeanette, rescued from the sea after the French ship Achilles caught fire. Jeanette had disguised herself as a man to stay with her husband on the Achilles, but her real identity was revealed as she escaped the ship. She was rescued by HMS Pickle and passed over to HMS Revenge before being landed at Gibraltar where to her joy she was reunited with her husband. While still on board, Captain Moorsom 'ordered her purser's shirts to make a petticoat, and most of the officers found something to clothe her.'

HMS Revenge reached Gibraltar on the 28th October and returned to Portsmouth in November where she was dry docked for repairs, 'she bore the marks of her bravery in the action, and the acclamation had a pleasant effect' was the comment by William Robinson. After repair she returned to service and took part in cutting out enemy ships on the French coast, the actions at the Basque Roads. In 1813 she served in the Mediterranean off the coast of Spain with the Inshore Squadron.

HMS Revenge was laid up in 1849 at Sheerness and broken up in 1851.

Background to Matthew Boulton: Birmingham industrialist Matthew Boulton made- and distributed- about 15,000 Trafalgar Medals (at his own expense).   For more information refer to The Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge University and The National Maritime Museum, Greenwich.

Price: SOLD

Click here to return to category.